Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
This position is for a Application Engineer to work with our Regulatory Reporting Product Team supporting applications that enable regulators to report accurate and timely information. Further work with the Business to migrate the on-premise to cloud hosted solutions, support audit requirements and regulators. The primary responsibilities of this role include leading the development of supporting application UI’s and data integrations utilizing Windows batch scripting, PERL, Java, Autosys, SQL, GitHub, Jenkins and creating automations utilizing tools such as Python, Java, and Selenium.
As a Full Stack Engineer, you’ll build and release reliable software systems at scale. By partnering with enterprise-wide teams, you’ll develop and maintain full stack solutions that fit our business needs. You’ll use your holistic view of all products (and their interactions) to design elegant solutions and strategize the future state of our larger technical ecosystem. By independently innovating and advocating for best practices, you’ll solve complex problems and guide the team on implementing solutions from inception to production.
- Create solutions addressing high impact technology and business priorities
- Proficient in multiple contexts, including programming languages, security, automation, testing, and business domains and is the go-to person for many people (inside and outside of their team)
- Work directly with business partners and Architects to understand requirements and outline solutions. Partner with engineering team to evaluate, innovate on and enhance development practices and processes.
- Work with Vendor on Issue management, Vulnerabilities, certificate updates and Audits
- Work on Software Upgrades, Patches, Plug-Ins, Whitelisting, Certificate Renewals, Service Accounts, Training, Job Aids, KB articles
- Penetration tests, SSO setup, System/Cyber Vulnerabilities
- Integration with DFS Systems (DFTP, AWS, Snowflake, 3rd and 4th Party Vendors)
- Supporting On-Prem (Windows, Unix) and SaaS (Cloud) solutions 3rd party SaaS applications
- Support live systems to ensure business continuity.
- Create and maintain DevOps processes, application, infrastructure, and utilize Cloud services (including database systems and models/schemas).
- Analyze, design, program, test, and deploy new user stories and features with high quality (security, reliability, operations) to production
- Tends to Associate Application Engineers by providing learning tasks as well as work related tasks, directs the work of Senior Associate Application Engineers, and helps them continue to grow
- Achieves team commitments (and influence others to do the same) by using informal leadership & highly developed communication skills
- Has an oversight on design decisions and guides team to achieve key results for products assigned to them
- Remediates issues using engineering principles and creates proactive design solutions for potential failures
- Contributes to and leads technology communities at Discover
- 24/7 Production support for System Availability, Service Now Incident resolution, and scheduled Maintenance Windows.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
Bachelors – Computer Science
4+ Years – Information Technology, (Software) Engineering, or related
Internal applicants only: technical proficiency rating of competent on the Dreyfus engineering scale
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Experience working with a relational database and NoSQL database
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Experience in scripting languages such as Shell/Python/Scala/Java.
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Experience with AWS based solutions such as RDS, Lambda, Dynamodb, Snowflake or S3
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Experience in Lewtan, FSI, Workiva and EPAM is a plus
- Experience working in vendor systems is a plus
External applicants will be required to perform a technical interview.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.