The Data Warehouse Architect will report directly to the Director, Business Intelligence and Decision Support within the Division of Information Technology (DIT) and will work closely with the Director of Research Systems and Integration who will lead projects to meet the objectives of SB1052. The chosen candidate will work with the University of Maryland Baltimore’s and the University of Maryland College Park’s technical and functional users in the areas of finance, research administration and compliance to create new data structures with initial concentration on creating a combined data structure to satisfy the reporting requirements for the NSF HERD survey.
This position will contribute to strategic initiatives of SB1052 by creating combined reporting for the two campuses, which will improve data driven decision-making for senior leadership. The Data Warehouse Architect will be responsible for overseeing the design, implementation and maintenance of new data structures that can be consumed by both organizations within their respective Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW). This includes using a variety of cloud-based technologies, establishing best practices and procedures for enterprise data warehousing, contributing to ETL implementations, implementing data quality controls, and ensuring data is well structured to facilitate analysis and reporting.
The emphasis of this position is the technical hands-on activities for the creation and evolution of a new EDW and data platform using innovative cloud based technologies such as Amazon Web Services (AWS). The candidate for this role will have the ability to both be a visionary as well as have the technical acumen to implement a scalable, well-structured data platform consisting of a Data Warehouse, Data Lake, and a variety of supporting toolsets.
Of utmost importance is the ability to assess existing data landscapes and develop a strategy for combining similar data from multiple sources. The Data Architect will need to be able to persuade and lead others to think critically to make decisions about the direction of the overall data platform. Prior successful data warehouse implementations and experience are essential. Clear communication, leadership skills, collaborating with nontechnical stakeholders, and the ability to make critical decisions are a requirement to be successful in this position.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science or a related field.
- 5-7 years of experience in overall data warehouse design (conceptual, logical and physical), with proven success implementing a large scale enterprise data warehouse
- 5-7 years of experience with star schema
- 5-7 years of hands-on experience writing complex SQL
- Experience developing detailed technical documentation as well as documentation for end-users
- Experience facilitating design sessions with technical and non-technical users
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of data privacy, practices and laws
- Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards and products
- Ability to present ideas in a user-friendly language
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, and in writing.
- Extensive experience in all phases of Data Warehouse development.
- Experience with various ETL platforms, ideally including Informatica Cloud.
- Experience with AWS, particularly the data management tools (Redshift, Aurora, Glue, etc.)
- Experience with report writing in Tableau, or other similar data visualization tool
- Must be self-motivated, energetic, detail-oriented and a team player.
Additional information: This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Must have the ability to walk short distances to attend meetings on campus.
Position #: 125403
To apply for this job please visit topspotjobs.com.