What does a great Database Engineer do?
As a Database Engineer, you will establish yourself as a trusted technologist by helping ensure overall satisfaction with Fiserv solutions, which serve thousands of banks while processing trillions of dollars and billions of transactions a year. Product Development and Product Management will rely on you to provide database optimization strategies for the solutions that Fiserv provides. It is crucial that you become an advocate for our internal clients, our operating model and technology strategies, as you will be responsible for engineering automated methods of database management that drive inherent cost-effective efficiencies.
You will represent the Bank Solutions business unit as a designated database engineer for assigned projects. You should be comfortable creating and reviewing complex code and documentation across many disparate technologies, with a strong knowledge of cloud-enabled development and an aspiration to quickly understand complex proprietary infrastructure architecture. Your responsibility is to engineer and maintain methods of optimization in managing performance-oriented data structures for supported applications. This role will work closely with project teams to ensure performance testing requirements are completed and the results meet client expectations.
This role must manage diverse system platforms and product lines within Fiserv and be able to adapt quickly to unfamiliar technologies. It is critical that you continually learn and maintain current knowledge of Fiserv Solutions and industry-standard development practices and technologies to provide optimal database engineering strategies for various Fiserv solutions. At times, you will be called upon to prioritize and drive resolution on escalated incidents or problems that occur in production.
You will be a key resource to drive efficiencies through process improvements while developing repeatable automated database optimization methodologies. Bank Solutions, and most importantly, our clients, expect high quality applications. Success in your efforts accordingly will foster customer loyalty, and lead to improved client retention and overall client satisfaction with Fiserv.
A key characteristic in the success of this role will be technical aptitude. The creation of new, and the maintenance of the existing Fiserv automated database engineering toolsets, requires programming experience. It is critical that you know how to leverage CI/CD pipeline technologies such as Ansible and Jenkins in developing database optimization playbooks that drive optimal application performance. You must also exercise strong problem-solving skills with limited assistance.
This demanding yet exciting role allows you to establish and build relationships across Fiserv to facilitate timely, cost-effective and efficient testing practices of Fiserv solutions. You will become a Subject Matter Expert for the products assigned to you and a “Go To” technical resource for standard quality assurance best practices. This will bring a great sense of accomplishment for you personally in achieving the goals of Fiserv and most importantly our clients.
Basic Qualifications for Consideration:
Job Related Experience:
- Experience and strong understanding of database systems with experience designing and tuning bases in Microsoft SQL, MySQL, IBM DB2 LUW, Oracle, Progress, etc.
- Successful track record of root cause discovery, analytical thinking and problem solving
- Must be able to understand the needs of businesses and develop solutions that cater to such needs
- Work independently and prioritize time and projects appropriately
- Think outside of the box to come up with creative solutions to ensure efficient and timely performance assurance
- Handle multiple projects effectively while continually delivering exceptional quality
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- 3+ years of relevant work experience
- Evaluate and improve existing live database systems to obtain improved response, capacity and extended functionality
- Assist with performance oriented design of database system, schemas, and objects for new products
- Design tests for various business-driven database scenarios that demonstrate performance response/capacity and quantify/analyze the performance results
- Provide resource requirements for a given capacity or load scenario based on test results or production analysis.
- Perform complex query analysis, tuning, and schema refinement
- Design and develop database objects, tables, indexes, stored procedures, views, triggers, etc.
- Outline recommendations for performance-oriented database strategies and assist in the definition of database development standards and efficiencies.
Preferred Skills, Experience, and Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 3+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience designing and engineering solutions that use database technologies including Microsoft SQL, MySQL, IBM DB2 LUW, Oracle, Progress, etc.
- Certifications related to database administration, database management, database engineering, etc.
- Experience with database administration tasks (database backup/restore operations, updating statistics, rebuilding and reorganizing indexes, scheduling tasks, automation, etc.)
- Experience in database performance tuning at the query level including but not limited to complex query, procedure, view and index design and optimization
- Experience in database performance tuning at the DBMS level including but not limited to partitioning, block settings, transactional log settings, and other DBMS performance settings.
- Experience in database performance tuning at the system level, including but not limited to server design, NUMA configuration, partitioning, storage/disk design and settings.
- Experience in using transactional/dynamic SQL profilers/monitors, evaluating execution plans, and instancedatabase performance monitoring.
- Experience in using system level monitors such as Perfmon
- Experience in the complete software development lifecycle including associated deployment methodologies, QA processes, and performance tuning efforts
Who We Are:
In a world moving faster than ever before, Fiserv helps clients deliver solutions in step with the way people live and work today – financial services at the speed of life. With 24,000 associates, we help more than 12,000 clients worldwide create and deliver solutions to enable today's consumer to move and manage money with ease, speed and convenience. Our Aspiration is to move money and information in a way that moves the world. As a FORTUNE™ 500 company and one of FORTUNE Magazine World’s Most Admired Companies for the sixth consecutive year, we are committed to excellence and purposeful innovation.
In this role you will be aligned with solutions to our banking customers. We deliver comprehensive bank platforms and value-added products and services for community, mid-tier, and large financial institutions. We offer flexible technology solutions that enable financial institutions to quickly align to customers' expectations. With a modular approach to delivery, financial institutions can preserve platform investments while delivering both updated functionality and a consistent experience across channels.
From understanding consumer needs based on the latest research to analytics and advisory services that help identify growth opportunities from accounts, payments and industry data, we help clients access and act on data to create better outcomes
Fiserv bank platforms – Cleartouch, DNA, Precision, Premier, Signature – enable banks to efficiently manage a wide range of activities such as account opening, deposits, withdrawals, loans, customer information management, and general ledger and accounting tasks. Each Fiserv bank platform has unique capabilities, but they all help our clients improve customer service and streamline their back-office operations.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce. We are an equal opportunity employer/disability/vet.
Fiserv is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Vet. Visit http://www.careers.fiserv.com/eeo for more information.
To apply for this job please visit topspotjobs.com.