JOB TITLE: Dock Worker
REPORTS TO: Dock Supervisor
OVERVIEW OF ROLE: To ensure the customer is always serviced first by providing efficient and safe, claim-free handling of freight. To exemplify Ward’s Pallet Expertise when loading, unloading, sorting and handling freight by hand and/or using material handling equipment such as forklifts, carts, etc. Properly load/unload freight and correctly complete all required paperwork.
Ward Trucking LLC is currently accepting applications for a Dock C – Casual in anticipation of upcoming or future growth opportunities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Load and unload freight under the direction of the lead dock worker or dock supervisor.
- Strip trailers and move freight using appropriate freight handling equipment to appropriate trailers to be loaded according to specifications on manifests or other paperwork.
- Correctly complete all required paperwork (stripping manifest, stacking report, road manifest, delivery loading report).
- Plan the loading of freight into trailers to fully utilize available space and minimize risk of damage. Ensure stack racks are correctly used in appropriate lanes and ensure shipment integrity in support of our Pallet Expertise and the Stack Up Loading System.
- Properly perform tasks to assure safety and to prevent damage to cargo. Secure load to prevent shifting, falling and damage to the freight using stack bars, stretch wrap, stack rings and rope, dunnage and cardboard.
- Count and inspect all shipments and make appropriate notations on manifests for any exception (overage, shortage, damage).
- Promptly report any O S & D problems or improper loading using the damage load report. Apply appropriate O S & D labels to freight when loading.
- Use forklift in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform work in a safe, efficient manner.
- Meet established productivity goals.
- Learn about Hazardous Materials and handle them in a safe, correct manner in accordance with training received.
- Provide constant feedback to Operations Manager or supervisor on specific freight handling characteristics in support of Ward’s CBS system.
- Actively participate in driver/dock meetings providing managers with feedback on customers and work processes. Work to understand and support targeted growth plans. Read internal newsletters such as the Inside Lane and Driving Force to stay abreast of what’s happening within the company.
- Fully support all technologies and processes, introduced by Ward, that are intended to improve efficiencies and/or the customer experience. Support would include adherence to training programs, guidelines and processes associated with these systems.
- Must be able to read and write, complete company and governmental forms, and understand written company policies and governmental regulations.
- Must be able to understand and complete forms necessary to the movement of freight in the industry; for example, road manifests, freight bills, hazardous material labels, etc.
- Must have a working knowledge of or the ability to acquire knowledge of the procedures necessary to perform all aspects of freight handling in a safe and efficient manner, including properly planning and loading trailers. Experience in forklift operation preferred.
- Must be able to work the required hours.
- Must wear steel-toed shoes/boots.
- Must participate in random drug testing of all non-DOT employees.
- Must be able to successfully pass a post offer physical agility test, specifically designed for the tasks associated with the position. The physical demands for this position are "Heavy", as defined by the Dictionary of Occupational Titles: Exerting 50 to 100 lb of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 lb of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 lb of force constantly to move objects, physical demand requirements are in excess of those for medium work.
- Specific physical demands include, but are not limited to:
– Carrying: Occasional, up to 75 lbs., up to 40 feet
– Pushing: Occasional, up to 600 lbs., up to 100 feet
– Pulling: Occasional, up to 600 lbs., up to 100 feet
– Lifting – Floor to Knee, Knee to Waist, Waist to Shoulder: Occasional, up to 75 lbs.
– Stooping, Twisting, Balancing, Bending, Climbing, Crouching, Kneeling,
– Sitting: Frequent
This job description does not necessarily represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as circumstances change.
To apply for this job please visit topspotjobs.com.