Leidos has an opening in the Lynnwood, Washington office for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to design, build, and test Naval and Maritime systems.
Experienced design engineer. Work closely with Government and Military customers and end users to develop creative solutions to complex problems. Integration of advanced acoustic, optical, electrical, and robotic technologies in a challenging technical environment.
- Participate in discussions with customers to develop and refine specific constraints and requirements for use of maritime mechanical systems
- Work with Leidos and co-contractor systems, electrical, mechanical, and software engineers to develop integrated design concepts to meet constraints, requirements, and system internal and external interfaces.
- Create plans and budgets for detailed design and development of mechanical system concepts
- Perform structural, vibration, shock, thermal, and hydrodynamic analysis of conceptual and detailed designs using hand calculations and analysis software such as Solidworks, ANSYS and COMSOL.
- Create CAD models of mechanical systems using Dessault Solidworks software
- Generate ANSI compliant drawings of parts and assemblies for fabrication
- Participate in source selection and work with vendors to resolve questions and issues during fabrication of parts and assemblies
- Work with technicians and manufacturing engineers to develop assembly and in-process test procedures and resolve manufacturing issues
- Support Earned Value Management System (EVMS) processes for cost and schedule performance tracking
- Work with test engineers to develop and support system and subsystem tests to verify compliance with requirements
- Requires BS degree and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain. Years of experience may be substituted for a degree
- Able to obtain Secret clearance or higher
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work without close supervision.
- Strong, effective, and professional communication (written/verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to take initiative in troubleshooting mechanical and electrical issues; creative in determining approach or action to take in non-routine situations.
- Demonstrated experience with Solidworks and Solidworks PDM Pro.
- Experienced in creating drawings to ASME standards, including applying GD&T per ASME Y14.5.
- Performing analysis of mechanical systems (thermal, structural, and hydrodynamic) using hand calculations and commercial FEA/CFD software packages (Solidworks, Ansys, COMSOL)
- Background designing, building, and testing prototype and limited production hardware systems.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, climb ladders, and work in enclosed spaces.
- Maritime systems and/or ocean engineering experience greatly preferred.
- Prior experience with unmanned underwater vehicles, operating and control systems and associated electronics/sensors, launch and recovery subsystems, and system-to-host interfaces, including acoustic ranging and communications.
- Experience working with manual machine tools (mill & lathe) and fabrication equipment (saws, grinders, welders).
- Experience with additive manufacturing processes (3D printing)
- Familiarity working as part of a Integrated Product Team (IPT) on DOD programs of record.
- Knowledge of subsea acoustic systems (projectors & hydrophones).
- Experience designing for tight-tolerance optical systems.
- Knowledge of corrosion processes and designing systems to operate long-term in corrosive environments.
- Fiber optic telemetry experience.
- Lab and field test experience
Pay Range $94,250.00 – $145,000.00 – $195,750.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.