What you’ll do…
H&R Block’s Tech Enablement team is looking for a lead software engineer to guide and coach engineering teams in industry best practices including testing, DevOps, Agile development practices, and mature development capabilities. The person in this role must have several years of practical experience developing software in mature engineering organizations and a passion for helping and coaching others to do the same.
- Provides technical expertise to coach others in the design, develop and maintain software components and products that support H&R Block business applications.
- Provides organizational leadership for developer support and maintaining the development environment.
- Has practical experience using tools, languages, coding standards and best practices
- Creates and executes unit tests and addresses defects.
- Works closely with stakeholders to ensure consistent understanding of organizational needs and direction
- Assists in planning and implementation of a strategic direction for Tech Enablement engagements
- Coaches others on the design, development and maintenance of complex software components
- Creates and maintains documentation of design approaches
- Creates and maintains documentation on internal architecture of the system
- Identifies and implements ways to improve non-functional system requirements
- Assists and drives technical design and code reviews with development teams
- Establishes best practices in coding and development within the organization and enables consistency of the use of best practices across teams.
- Positively and proactively leads and influences teams.
- Provides advice and guidance to associate, senior and software engineer roles in the effective use of coding principles and best practices.
- Maintains and improves current knowledge on the latest technologies relevant to the role regarding algorithms, language, design methodology, third-party development tools, application platforms, hardware compatibility and operating systems.
- Mentors and coaches other team members on the latest technological advances within the current technology used
It would be even better if you also had…
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Background in technical training.
What you’ll bring to the team…
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or the equivalent through a combination of education and related work experience.
- 8 years Minimum related work experience
About H&R Block…
H&R Block’s purpose is simple: To provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We’ve been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we’ve grown to have approximately 12,000 offices throughout the United States and around the world.
We are a people company first and a tax company second. People who join H&R Block say it feels like being part of something bigger. A place with an amazing and storied history, but with a strong and urgent focus on the future. Maybe it’s how determined, forward thinking and innovative we are, or how accessible our leadership is. We believe it’s all those things, and much more.
H&R Block is committed to diversity and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class. All qualified applicants are welcomed and encouraged to apply.