Cox Communications, Inc is searching for a Network Engineer II. This role, under minimal supervision, performs work that is varied and highly complex in character to reactively and proactivity manage the Cox High Speed IP Backbone including through the development of Automation and Network Visualizations. The position is for an IP Network Engineer on the Backbone TSO team whose function includes performing operational readiness task for new projects being deployed, being Tier 3 escalation for the Cox IP Backbone, and exploring ways to proactively manage/monitor the IP backbone network. Being responsible for Tier 3 escalation, the engineer will be part of an on-call rotation and be asked to perform Daily/Monthly network health check to ensure the stability of the Cox Backbone. In addition to being an IP network SME for Backbone Operations, the engineer will be asked to use Automation and Data Analysis to improve how Cox proactively manages and monitor the network. Both developing software solutions on their own along with working with software engineers to develop more complex use cases.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Act as a Tier 3 escalation point for complex network issues, providing expert-level troubleshooting and resolution. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to resolve network incidents and restore services in a timely manner. At times, acting as lead Incident Commander to drive resolution.
- Work with the TSO Software Engineer along with other Software Engineer teams to develop automation and dashboards to improve network visibility and proactive monitoring of the IP Backbone
- Conduct regular network health checks on a daily and monthly basis to assess the overall stability and performance of the IP network. Identify any potential areas of improvement and take proactive measures to optimize network performance.
- Perform regular audits of the IP Network to verify compliance with established configurations, circuit, and network playbook standards.
- Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of network platforms; Ensures network uptime and compliance with customer Service Level Agreements
- Responsible for collaborating with vendors to address recurring equipment or operating system issues that affect the IP network infrastructure.
- Contributes to the production of reports and postmortems on events and outages on the Cox IP Network.
- Project management of Operational Readiness task for Deployment Projects which may include creation of support documentation, ensuring understanding of vendor support processes, and training for both Backbone TSO and NOC teams.
- Develop Methods and Procedures along with providing training to Technicians to support lower tier troubleshooting of network events.
- Coordinates and participates in discussions with other groups to make critical decisions as related to the Cox operational environment.
- Represent the Backbone TSO on various meetings related to operational support related to the Cox IP Backbone Network.
- Provide mentorship to lower Tier IP Network Technicians through both group and one-on-one sessions, aiming to enhance the overall technical expertise within the Backbone NOC.
- Participate in an on-call rotation schedule to provide 24/7 support for network incidents and emergencies. Respond to and resolve critical issues during off-hours as required.
- Bachelor's degree in a related discipline and 2 years' experience in a related field (i.e. Network Engineering, operations.). The right candidate could also have a different combination, such as a master's degree and up to 2 years' experience; or 6 years' experience in a related field
- 1+ years of experience working in IP Networks
- 1+ years troubleshooting and diagnostics of complex Service provider/Enterprise IP networks.
- Requires working knowledge of complex IP networks including strong familiarity with the following Network technologies and Routing Protocols: IP subnetting, IS-IS, MPLS, BGP, MP-BGP, L3VPN, MPLS-TE, Multicast, MVPN, JUNOS.
- Knowledge of the following software development tools: Ansible, Python, JSON, YAML, Kubernetes/docker, Linux.
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical thinking skills.
- Excellent collaborative skills to work effectively with teams throughout organization.
- Experience with building automation/software solutions for operating IP networks.
- Relevant certifications such as CCNP or JNCIP-SP are desirable.
- BS/BA degree and/or Industry Certifications in related discipline strongly preferred (i.e. Engineering, Computer Science, or similar technical degree.
USD 77,000.00 – 115,600.00 per year
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is the largest private telecom company in America, serving six million homes and businesses. That's a lot, but we also proudly serve our employees. Our benefits and our award-winning culture are just two of the things that make Cox a coveted place to work. If you're interested in bringing people closer through broadband, smart home tech and more, join Cox Communications today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page .
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.