Senior Access Network Engineer
Cox Communications is searching for an Access Network Engineer to perform evaluation, testing, and analysis on network hardware and software components for new product offerings, network growth and/or customer-specific applications. This position will help test complex voice, data, and/or video networks including individual components and interoperability of multiple network elements from different vendors. The Engineer will assist Senior Engineers with strategic network assessments based upon emerging network trends, technologies, and/or future service offerings, and develop plans to address needs. The Engineer will also focus on new opportunities in the Cloud/Virtualization space including private and public clouds with various vendors.
- Help develop requirements to meet new product needs and align tactical solutions with Cox product offerings.
- Research new technology options and evaluate how to meet new product needs including SDN/NFV and public/private cloud environments.
- Provide technical support for issues that affect development and deployment of new residential products and services over Cox's DOCSIS infrastructure or have been escalated by the Systems or Network Operations Department.
- Perform evaluation and implementation tasks associated with new services and features of Cox Residential Services. This includes working with other CCI departments such as Product Development, Network Operations Center, as well as various Field Engineering and Operations groups.
- Conduct equipment evaluations, equipment selection, and pilot testing to ensure reliability and scaled expansion of the network.
- Assess and define testing strategy and test cases. Document, build, and execute test plans to qualify vendor solutions, develop evaluation criteria and scoring and perform integration testing of network elements, including DOCSIS network equipment.
- Assist in implementation of plans that enhance technical operation, compliance with rules and regulations, and permit the deployment of new technology.
- Compile the methods of procedures and documentation to support personnel in the maintenance and day-to-day operation of the network.
- Familiar with adjacent technologies to understand integration opportunities and constraints and vendor provided software (system software, middleware, APIs, and applications) to determine compliance with Cox specifications.
- Provide engineering support to other departments.
- Collaborate as part of cross-functional, cross-regional teams of Product Development, Field Operations, Outside Plant and Engineering organizations to build alignment and specify the objectives to help meet the business goals for Cox networks.
- Troubleshoot problems identified in lab testing and drive them to resolution. This includes understanding and proficiency working with lab test and measurement equipment used to test and troubleshoot IP networks, RF, DOCSIS, etc.
- Conduct extensive lab evaluations and integration testing of Access Network elements. Document results for Production deployments.
- Responsible for the documentation of technical evaluations, deployment procedures, technical guidelines, and support/troubleshooting procedures for involved projects.
- May assist projects and other teams to confirm delivery intervals, validate critical dates and milestones and ensure delivery of services stay on target.
- Requires a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline and a minimum of 4 years of experience as an engineer and/or Cloud IT space, OR Master's of Science in a related discipline + 2 years of experience, OR PhD + 1 year of relevant experience.
- Experience with CableLabs/SCTE specifications
- 2+ years in IP Network Engineering, with experience in all packet based protocols such as TCP/IP (including protocols like DHCP, DNS, TCP, UDP, etc), MPLS and routing protocols such as OSPF, BGP4.
- 2+ years in DOCSIS network testing and evaluation.
- 2+ years of experience working in a Multiple Systems Operator (MSO) environment
- BS/BA in EE, CS, or other Engineering Major.
- CCNA, CCNP.
- Experience with CableLabs/SCTE working groups and/or other communication specifications.
- Familiarity and experience with virtualized networking and cloud environments.
- Familiarity and experience with distributed access architectures (DAA)
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is the largest private telecom company in America, serving six million homes and businesses. That's a lot, but we also proudly serve our employees. Our benefits and our award-winning culture are just two of the things that make Cox a coveted place to work. If you're interested in bringing people closer through broadband, smart home tech and more, join Cox Communications today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page .
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
The largest community on the web to find and list jobs that aren't restricted by commutes or a specific location.