Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As a Sr. Manager Chapter Engineer you will be responsible for the technical development of software engineering staff, while using your technical expertise to drive vision into action and results. The role is in the Digital Platform organization where you will be focused on building a world class, high performing team of engineers who work on developing Discover’s customer facing web and mobile platform capabilities (APIs, React Native/JS, and mobile SDK integrations). In this role you will be acting as an engineering coach and also driving the vision and strategy for core web and mobile platform capabilities. If your passion is making awesome foundational capabilities come to life for web and mobile, we want to hear from you!
This sounds exciting, but what about hands-on work with technology? Keeping your technical skills fresh is as important for engineers as it is for our chapter engineering leaders. Uniquely, chapter engineering leaders have opportunities to solve challenging and complex technical problems in a direct, hands-on way when capacity allows. At Discover, we celebrate our leaders role modeling advanced engineering practices as a way to develop themselves and their team members.
If you have the passion to empower teams, drive strategy, and advocate the art of the possible for web and mobile, apply today!
- Hire, retain and lead high-functioning, diverse group of engineering professionals, establishing clear objectives and key results, developing consistent set of practices and process across the team and driving towards resolution of challenging problems. This includes all performance management aspects of leading the engineers including acquiring and providing 360 feedback and administering reviews.
- Mentor staff of engineers in both technical and soft skills to craft a team of highly technically competent, consistent, thoughtful and customer-centric technology experts. This includes ensuring the group is adhering to principles of engineering excellence within their technical domain, applying consistency of technical execution, sharing common practices and challenges within the Chapter and fostering a culture of excellence and continuous learning within the Chapter.
- Work with the Discover Technology Academy to help product teams embrace modern engineering practices such as TDD, paired programming, and extreme automation.
- Work with key stakeholders to efficiently and effectively allocate chapter team members to product teams to meet business and Product area objectives.
- Drive the web and mobile product roadmap and vision, partnering with business and technology leadership along the way
- Engage with internal and external communities of practice to share experiences, contribute knowledge, learn and advocate for the Discover Technology brand. Promotes team innovation and collaboration of ideas across teams.
- Responsible for the application ownership, development delivery, and support for value streams. Manages a team, including hiring, directing, mentoring, and assigning work.
- Defines how technical work should be done, selecting appropriate tools, defining technology, quality, experience and implementation standards and practices within own technical domain. Develops own technical skills to attain Subject Matter Expertise in at least one technical implementation within own technical domain. Ensures consistency of technical execution and knowledge, sharing common practices and challenges within the Chapter. Engineer solutions for special projects as needed
- Develops own Chapter into a highly technically competent, consistent, thoughtful and customer-centric team of technology experts. Works with Product Owners and Value Stream Engineering leaders to efficiently and effectively allocate chapter resources to meet Product needs. Fosters a culture of excellence and continuous learning within the Chapter. Establishes and tracks to appropriate OKRs to ensure outcomes are met.
- Instills a sense of purpose, curiosity and continuous learning with each and every Chapter member, motivating all to achieve their best. Owns the career and performance management process for the chapter, ensuring the collective’s technical competency continues to consistently evolve to effectively support Product Owner and Value Stream needs. Attracts, onboards and develops/retrains talent to achieve the strongest Chapter possible.
- Utilizes PO and VS feedback and performance/satisfaction metrics to identify areas of continuous improvement within team. Engages with internal and external communities of practice to share experiences, contribute knowledge, learn and advocate for the Discover Technology brand. Promotes team innovation and collaboration of ideas across teams
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or related
- 4+ years Engineering People Leadership and Development or related
If we had our say, we’d also look for
- Experience in utilizing cloud providers for critical customer facing capabilities
- Basic understanding and experience of key technologies to be leveraged by the team including Java applications, Spring, API, and CI/CD technologies
- Understanding of observability and how to achieve reliability in a service.
- Agile, Extreme Programming, and automation principles
- Demonstrated success in creating capability strategies and roadmaps
- Mobile release management
#LI-SY1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.
To apply for this job please visit topspotjobs.com.