The Leidos Innovations Center has an immediate opening for you, our next Sr. Mechanical Engineer to work in our Rancho Bernardo office in San Diego, CA. This is an exciting opportunity to leverage your experience to develop and produce advanced nuclear detection, radiography equipment, chemical and biological sensing instruments and satellite sensor systems. Emphasis is on research and development with activities ranging from support of early scientific research to transitioning products to production. You will get to influence the initial design concepts and iterate on the designs all the way into production for Bomb Squad and EOD technician x-ray imaging devices, satellite based camera and communication systems, novel 3d printing devices capable of creating structures out of pure diamond, and many more projects on the cutting edge of science and technology. If you are well-rounded with a “do what needs to be done” attitude, you will excel in this environment.
Fun stuff you will do on the job:
– Design, develop, integrate, and test all aspects of mechanical designs for Chemical, Biological, Radiation, Nuclear, and Space sensor systems.
– Collaborate in scientific research, engineering product development, and test activities. Contribute to design reviews and present designs for review.
– Work independently and use judgement to perform engineering task with uncertain and evolving requirements.
– Use judgment to perform technical troubleshooting and diagnosis of failed equipment and support root cause analysis.
– Perform data analysis and write technical reports.
– Provide mentorship and supervision to junior staff.
This is you:
– BS in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related field from an accredited college/university with at least 8+ years of relevant experience as a mechanical engineer in an R&D environment. Master’s preferred.
– Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance.
– Experience working with cross-functional R&D development teams.
– Motivated self-starter able to work under minimal supervision and an entrepreneurial approach to roles and responsibilities.
– Able to build BOM’s and assembly work instructions.
– Experience with definition, setup, characterization and testing of complex systems, including design of experiments, reliability life tests, and root cause analysis.
– 0-15% travel to customer sites as required.
– Well-organized, reliable, attention to detail, demonstrated personal initiative. Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload. Good interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate work with others. Good oral and written communication skills.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
– Experience leading small teams on projects or tasks.
– Experience with GD&T per ASME Y14.5
– Experience in any of the following: Design, integration, optics and optical packaging, composites, materials, design for manufacturing, microfluidics, shock and vibration analysis, precision motion, MIL-810 testing, system engineering, technical project planning, heat transfer and thermodynamics, control systems, and/or biotechnology.
– Hold an active Secret Clearance or higher.
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
To apply for this job please visit topspotjobs.com.