This position will be a database centric position, solely working with the databases within the cDVR environment. As an engineer on the VIPER Rio DevOps team, you will design, develop and deploy database infrastructure to assure highly performant service delivery on our core service delivery infrastructure which delivers stunningly new video experiences at a massive scale.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment?
This position will be a database centric position, solely working with the databases within the cDVR environment. As an engineer on the VIPER Rio DevOps team, you will design, develop and deploy database infrastructure to assure highly performant service delivery on our core service delivery infrastructure which delivers stunningly new video experiences at a massive scale. The VIPER Rio DevOps team is a small and fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
Who does the DevOps engineer work with?
DevOps engineers are positioned within collaborative scrum teams that consists of Operation, Development, and Engineering. We work with network engineers, systems administrators, software engineers, and a pile of technically-adept-but-not-actually-technical product folks. The VIPER Rio DevOps team is a diverse collection of engineers from all walks of life. We’re a group of experienced technical minds who are the last word when it comes to solving problems encountered by our production support teams.
What are some interesting problems you’ll be working on?
In your role, you will be responsible for the engineering, operations, deployment and maintenance of our core cDVR platforms. You will be a Tier 3 engineer, taking escalations from our 24 x 7 NOC and Tier 2 operations teams.
- Trace defects through a cutting-edge service-oriented architecture to find root cause
- Develop scripts and utilities to automate data collection from hundreds or thousands of nodes
- Query big data stores (Splunk, Hadoop, MemSQL) to quantify the scope of reported issues
- Create new metrics and identify monitoring deliverables to improve site reliability
- Evaluate new releases for basic reliability and systems integration support
- Providing guidance to QA teams who will perform functional and load testing.
Where can you make an impact?
You’ll be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast while rolling out the video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. Success in this role is characterized by a higher speed to market, with fewer customer-facing defects and outages.
· Development and deployment of the database infrastructure for the Rio platform.
· Develop proof of concept deployments for evaluation of products and architectures.
· Day-to-day, Tier 3, 24×7 support of our database infrastructure that delivers IP based cDVR, iVOD, and ipPPV to our customers
· On-Call responsibilities
· Work on more efficient ways to automate and operate our infrastructure.
· Assist in all deployments of new services, and capacity augments.
· Development and maintenance of a capacity model for our growing cloud architecture.
· Participate in the ground up design and planning for all future products and services for Comcast’s IP Video platform.
· Troubleshooting errors with proprietary and open source applications in production and pre-production environments
· Identifying, implementing, and documenting of technical SOPs for maintenance and deployment tasks
· Monitor the health and status of systems under your management
· Ability to create and maintain policies, standards and overall system documentation
Here are some of the specific technologies used in our architecture:
· Cisco UCS + VMWare
Skills & Requirements
· 2+ years’ service operations, engineering and / or database infrastructure deployment and maintenance
· Experience with a variety of Software and Hardware operating environments
· Experience with MemSQL and/or MySQL
· Cassandra or other NoSQL experience at scale a plus
· Experience with Couchbase, Apache Web Services, Video transcoding, Video stream package management, and DRM technologies a plus
· Experience in troubleshooting complex technical issues
· Experience in administering Linux environments
· Docker and Kubernetes a plus
· Experience with a scripting language (e.g. Python, Perl or Bash)
· Familiarity with at least one monitoring/logging tool (e.g. Splunk, OP5, Nagios or Sysdig)
· Good communicator and able to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies
· Great design and problem solving skills
· Willing to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution
· Comfortable working in a fast paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets.
About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research), is a startup division within Comcast’s Technology and Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media is based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that’s been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Relevant Work Experience
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the compensation and benefits summary on our careers site for more details.
To apply for this job please visit topspotjobs.com.