We're powering a cleaner, brighter future.
Exelon is leading the energy transformation, and we're calling all problem solvers, innovators, community builders and change makers. Work with us to deliver solutions that make our diverse cities and communities stronger, healthier and more resilient.
We're powered by purpose-driven people like you who believe in being inclusive and creative, and value safety, innovation, integrity and community service. We are a Fortune 200 company, 19,000 colleagues strong serving more than 10 million customers at six energy companies — Atlantic City Electric (ACE), Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE), Commonwealth Edison (ComEd), Delmarva Power & Light (DPL), PECO Energy Company (PECO), and Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco).
In our relentless pursuit of excellence, we elevate diverse voices, fresh perspectives and bold thinking. And since we know transforming the future of energy is hard work, we provide competitive compensation, incentives, excellent benefits and the opportunity to build a rewarding career.
Are you in?
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Sr. Systems Engineer will possess the experience and skills to design and support in an advanced role within the Exelon IT organization by providing expert technical guidance, direction and insight to project managers and stakeholders regarding IT system solutions and improvements being deployed within the enterprise environment. . Must possess expert and skillful abilities to design and drive high priority and complex IT system initiatives and project design solutions [to include both cloud, non-cloud and hybrid cloud models]. The Sr. Systems Engineer will be expected to provide technical leadership to support delivery and maintenance of IT solutions supporting Exelon. Must have the ability to evaluate IT infrastructure and application solutions and make recommendations for supporting and improving application and data workloads within these hosting models. Demonstrate expertise for design, configuration and deployment, of current hosting services to support virtual hosting technologies, software defined datacenter technologies, hyper-converged datacenter hardware solutions, and software tools. This role will work in collaboration with other IT teams, leadership, enterprise business partners, vendors and project/design teams, in all aspects of the secure & reliable hosting of applications throughout Exelon's large & complex enterprise and real time operational environments.
- Analyze complex hardware and software issues associated with storage related technologies, including Netapp, Dell/EMC SAN, Azure Netapp Files and Fiber Channel Switch management.
- Analyze complex hardware and software issues associated with complex storage platforms including EMC, NetApp, and others.
- Configure and maintain Dell EMC Data domain and Veritas Netbackup.
- Maintain and monitor Wintel, Linux and VMware platform health and performance from a storage perspective.
- Maintain storage inventory information to ensure accuracy of configuration management DB.
- Support the production release management system for documenting, planning, and implementing IT changes.
- Plan, coordinate, communicate and implement security patching activities for Linux server platforms.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes.
- Assist in racking and stacking of storage devices in Exelon’s datacenters.
- Provide 24×7 support and participate in on call rotation for critical production systems.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Provide technical expertise and/or solution delivery support for maintaining performance and reliability of server solutions.
- Maintain and enhance engagement with business and IT partners to sustain service levels and high availability of server compute services. Visible and accessible to clients providing guidance for how to successfully request new devices as needed.
- Build and maintains knowledge of new technologies or technology opportunities for on-prem and Cloud based services.
- Assists in coordinating and implementing planned infrastructure changes for business and/or IT clients.
- Ensures proper implementation of technology both within the production and the development environments.
- Looks for ways to automate processes to allow more efficient use of resources.
- Finds ways over, around and through barriers to success. Self-starter. A results-oriented doer.
- Promotes and encourages Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Establish direction and determine need for IT assessments, designs, connectivity, validating the connectivity of various hosting vendors and deployment of associated technologies. Provide consulting, guidance and recommendations to senior leadership within these areas. Conduct technical discovery sessions with vendors and customers. Lead and coordinate business projects, planning, maintenance, and network connectivity for one or more major Business Units. Establish the design, configuration, deployment and operation of [cloud and non-cloud based] systems and assist with the migration of existing applications to new cloud hosting platforms. Provide expert-level IT systems engineering, design and operation consultation with leadership, project teams and end users to identify system requirements and establish feasibility analysis on potential changes related to security and technical architecture. (30%)
- Collaborate with leadership and others to develop future technology road maps, resource requirements, migration strategies, and project schedules. Develop and provide input into presentations and/or Engineering and Architecture Review Boards. Participate in potential refactoring, refresh, or redesign required during [cloud] migrations. Create documentation to install, replace, and upgrade [cloud] components and other application hosting solutions. Comprehend technologies and service offerings within the industry. Create requirement documents, SOW, logical & physical architecture diagrams, and implementation plans to integrate in business environments. (25%)
- Determine need and initiate product & service evaluation, testing, lab and mockup solutions as needed. Serve as a senior resource (Subject Matter Expert) [in the Hybrid Cloud enterprise journey] encompassing ongoing architecture, design, planning, configuration, implementation, testing and documentation of the enterprise IT systems hosting environment. Contribute to assigned IT projects and deployments to ensure solutions are delivered to meet business requirements. Accountable for engineering, implementing and supporting solutions at the component level, including hands-on configuration, troubleshooting and optimization and supporting metrics for the same. (25%)
- Provide and formalize feedback to leadership and peers to risks identified during business impact analysis, site risk assessments and disaster recovery planning. Assess, develop, design & support custom system integration with platforms, specific to the needs of the customers. Maintain relevancy and knowledge in current and evolving emerging application & hosting technologies (15%)
- Continuous improvement with technical knowledge, industry trends and business acumen within all IT disciplines or functions. (5%)
Position interacts with all levels of employees, including executives, vendors, involved in the design, connectivity, maintenance, review, approval, testing and communication of business plans. Position has expertise in Microsoft and or Oracle technologies and the integration of related services Position has senior level expertise and design competency in platform or application area of expertise, and tools/systems associated with these functions. Work under minimal supervision. Mentors junior-level team members and others.
- Bachelor's Degree (Computer Science or related field) and 4-7 years' experience (IT infrastructure design, application design, [cloud computing], disaster/recovery, etc.) or in lieu of a degree, 8+ years relevant job experience.
- Demonstrated consulting, presentation, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated expert proficiency in at least two engineering domains such as storage, compute, database, collaboration, application design, [cloud hosting and related technologies]
- Ability to travel domestically.
- Master's Degree
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Certification in area of expertise
- Experience administrating servers and storage on-prem (physical and virtual) and in Microsoft Azure and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
- Experience with Windows Server 2016-2022, HPE ProLiant Hardware, Oracle Enterprise Linux, Solaris, Exadata hardware helpful
- Experience with scripting language such as Python, Shell
- Zerto experience.
- Certifications such as Azure Administrator, Oracle Cloud Administrator, VMware, EMC, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server helpful
- Demonstrated ability with knowledge in current versions of VMware hypervisor technology.
- Excellent communications skills – Able to effectively communicate highly technical information in non-technical terminology (written and verbal).
- Makes well-thought-out decisions on complex or ambiguous issues.
- Understanding of change management principles associated with sustaining high availability of systems and preventing change related incidents due to human performance factors.
- Takes good directions from Team Leads and Manager in performing required work.
- Independence level: works under supervision of Team Leads and/or Manager.