As a cross-functional engineer, you provide system-level ownership and subject matter expertise for new products and processes throughout the product life cycle.
The Maritime & International (MI) business unit, as part of SNC's Mission Solutions and Technologies (MST) business area, provides automated carrier landing systems, high performance navigation and guidance solutions, electronics intelligence (ELINT) systems, and other products to a US Navy, Marines, and international customer base. The MST organization has a long legacy of supporting the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, commercial, and international customers with years of experience in platform operations, engineering, and full life cycle management across domains – air, land, sea, space and cyber.
The Mission Solutions and Technologies (MST) business area provides affordable, turn-key command/control, communications, integrated ISR, force protection and security solutions worldwide. The MST team has a long legacy of supporting the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, commercial and international customers with years of experience in platform operations, engineering and full lifecycle management across domains – air, land, sea, space and cyber. Learn more about MST
- Work as a member of a Systems Engineering team and ensure systems engineering requirements are satisfied during the development of products.
- Act as a on-site liaison between our Navy customer and SNC’s Program Mangers and Engineering Leads.
- Ability to lead a development team of mixed engineering functional disciplines.
- Support requirements definition and analysis, system architecture definition, and requirements flow-down.
- Assist in system activities such as system integration planning, system verification, risk analysis and mitigation, and system fault and safety analysis.
- Compose and present engineering status at technical interchange meetings and design reviews.
- Apply system engineering processes to military and especially Naval shipboard systems.
- Proficient in use of established industry tools, such as IBM Rational DOORS and Cameo Enterprise Architecture.
- Be proficient in use of Microsoft Office and other computer-based tools to support system engineering and briefing/proposal development activities.
- Be proficient in use of Microsoft Project and other computer-based tools to support Program Managers and briefing/proposal development activities.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Bachelor's of Science degree in System Engineering or related discipline and typically 10 or more years of relevant experience
Demonstrated knowledge of engineering principles and practices
Experience working in multi-disciplinary design and development teams
Thorough understanding of requirements management, functional requirements parsing, derivation, and allocation; systems design, systems integration, technical risk identification and management strategies, and Verification and Validation (V&V) principles
Advanced Experience with requirements management and system modeling tools, such as DOORS, Rhapsody, Cameo, MATLAB
Knowledge of industry standard mechanical design principles, to include, but not limited to requirements management, Model Based System Engineering (MBSE)
Experience or certification in INCOSE standards
Background in the Aerospace and Defense Industry
Exposure to establishing and tracking key Technical Performance Measurements (TPM)
Familiarity with FAA certification processes (ARP-4754 / DO-178 / DO-254 / etc.)
Familiarity with MIL-STD-882E and Joint Software Systems Safety Engineering Handbook
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. SNC has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America’s fastest-growing companies. Learn more about SNC
SNC offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
SNC offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 6%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret U.S. Security Clearance. U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance for employment. Non-U.S. citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Department of Defense Consolidated Adjudications Facility (DoD CAF), a federal government agency, handles the adjudicative aspects of the security clearance eligibility process for industry applicants. Adjudicative factors which affect the outcome of the eligibility determination include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the U.S., foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and illegal drug use.
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC), our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. SNC is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination. Employment decisions are made without regarding to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law. Contributions to SNC come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.