We're powering a cleaner, brighter future.
Exelon is leading the energy transformation, and we're calling all problem solvers, innovators, community builders and change makers. Work with us to deliver solutions that make our diverse cities and communities stronger, healthier and more resilient.
We're powered by purpose-driven people like you who believe in being inclusive and creative, and value safety, innovation, integrity and community service. We are a Fortune 200 company, 19,000 colleagues strong serving more than 10 million customers at six energy companies — Atlantic City Electric (ACE), Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE), Commonwealth Edison (ComEd), Delmarva Power & Light (DPL), PECO Energy Company (PECO), and Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco).
In our relentless pursuit of excellence, we elevate diverse voices, fresh perspectives and bold thinking. And since we know transforming the future of energy is hard work, we provide competitive compensation, incentives, excellent benefits and the opportunity to build a rewarding career.
Are you in?
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
The IT Sr Systems Engineer I position serves as a senior technical role within the IT department. It requires demonstrated experience of information technology, problem-solving skills, and the ability to work effectively both independently, as a mentor and as part of a team. Candidate will possess the self-motivation, experience, and skills to serve by providing technical insights driving the design, implementation, and optimization of complex systems under the guidance of a Principal Engineer or Manager. Collaborates with IT architecture to define strategy and work with various teams to implement high quality systems to meet business requirements. Delivers and supports IT infrastructure, product and platform solutions. Designs and delivers complex IT system initiatives, to include cloud, non-cloud and hybrid-cloud systems. Influences other IT teams, leadership, enterprise business partners, vendors and project/design teams, in all aspects of the secure & reliable hosting of applications throughout Exelon's large & complex enterprise and real time operational environments.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Leads discussions with business partners and vendors to gather information. Consults with leadership, architecture, project teams and end users to identify system requirements and perform feasibility analysis on potential changes related to existing and future security and technical architectures. Writes and disseminates system specifications, logical & physical architecture diagrams, and implementation plans. Delivers practical, efficient, and cost-effective solutions that satisfy business needs, including hands-on configuration, troubleshooting and optimization and supporting metrics for the same. (30%)
- Work closely with others to develop future plans, resource requirements, migration strategies, and project schedules. Creates and delivers presentations to Engineering and Architecture Review Boards. Possesses deep understanding of current technologies and service offerings within the industry. Provides oversight for less experienced engineers (25%)
- Design, support and maintain custom system integration with other platforms, specific to the needs of the customers. Maintain relevancy and knowledge in current and evolving emerging IT systems technologies. (20%)
- Ensure all risks and issues are identified and are captured following set process and are actioned appropriately. Responsible to provide supporting data to leadership and peers. (15%)
- Maintains knowledge of and compliance with preferred technologies, methodologies, standards and policies. Maintain technical knowledge and business acumen within own discipline or function. Strong debuaainq and problem-solvinq skills; participates in peer code reviews. (10%)
Designing, d elivering, d ocumenting, and supporting infrastructure systems Maintains d eep knowledge of technology and its application across our business areas o r fo r our customers Leads in technological innovation to d rive new business opportunities and solve complex business problems Requires advanced skill set and p roficiency in discipline. Conducts work assignments of higher complexity, under occasional supervision with latitude for independent judgment Creates and contributes to a d evelopment-centric work environment where employees are challenged, coached and engaged . May lead and supervise interns and apprentices or serve as peer coach.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Networking 4 – 7 years' experience in IT infrastructure design, application design, cloud computing, disaster/recovery, or 6-9 years of relevant experience Experience with system administration Demonstrated ability to design and document processes & procedures Experience transitioning work to operational teams Maintained experience with [insert a specialized technical skill set from appendix]. Demonstrated competence with business acumen within own discipline or function. Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate highly technical information in non-technical terminology (written and verbal) Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with strong teamwork skills. Demonstrates ability to influence up down and across Drives innovation by leveraging alternative perspectives and emerging technologies to deliver creative solutions Demonstrated ability to deliver work aligning to project management principles & framework Demonstrated ability to provide financial impact analysis Troubleshooting & Monitoring: Solid understanding of the capabilities of standard monitoring tools. Can make informed decisions on monitoring settings such as sample size, level of criticality, and some self-healing opportunities. Cloud Technologies: Build and maintain knowledge of new technologies or technology opportunities and assists in development of analysis of their use for business and/or IT clients Security Basics: Ability to evaluate a solution against current security requirements and future industry trends Scripting & Automation: Able to use PowerShell, Ansible, or another appropriate scripting tool to automate common tasks/create reports and troubleshoot issues with existing scripts
Certificatio ns such as NERC-CIP, FERC, AZ900 Deeper understanding of programming languages, and an ability to solve engineering problems of increasing difficulty. Shows initiative beyond pure implementation. Experience building highly scalable applications