We are currently hiring for a Technical Writer that will be supporting the Veterans Administration in Shepherdstown, WV. This position will encompass the tasks associated with being a technical writer and technical knowledge manager of Enterprise network infrastructures and operations.
- Collect and organize information for preparation of technical user manuals, training materials, installation guides, procedural manuals, reports, and other deliverables.
- Interview myriad professionals that include engineers, management, and stakeholders to develop standard operating procedures and document processes.
- Ensure consistency of expression, logical organization and development, readability, appropriate formatting and conformity of grammar and style in accordance to defined standards and templates.
- Create from scratch and/or edit existing technical documents, including but limited to: white papers, reports, user manuals, procedures, presentations, meeting minutes, agendas, and any other customer deliverables and documents.
- Facilitate meeting to capture requirements for new or enhancement of technical applications and products. Able to gather, analyze, and document user requirements during facilitated sessions from subject matter professionals. Serves as primary point of contact between users and engineering/development team.
- Able to edit partial and complete products for readability, clarity of expression, continuity of thought, correct use and presentation of technical information, and presents technical content in conformance with existing standards and templates.
- Should be able to work under challenging environment and ready to learn and adapt to new technologies.
- Conduct web analytics review to evaluate and improve on the overall effectiveness of the SharePoint farm. (nice to have)
- Strong work ethic with a willingness to learn. Able to work independently or under general direction. Excellent proofreading and editing skills sufficient to produce publication-ready documents.
- Able to perform comprehensive needs analysis including researching, benchmarking, and interviewing of technical subject matter experts.
- Maintain SharePoint workflows (new or existing).
Mandatory Qualifications (Please list all Education, Certifications, Experience, Skills that are Required to get an interview. These mandatory qualifications should be non-negotiable based on your contract requirements)
- Education / Experience: Bachelor's Degree with up to 2 years of experience. 8 years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education.
- Background Investigation: Must be able to pass a government Tier 4 High Background Investigation.
Desired Qualifications (Please list all Education, Certifications, Experience, and Skills that are desired. These should not be disqualifiers, but rather nice to haves):
- Education / Experience:
- Prior government/VA experience is highly desired.
Writes, rewrites and/or edits technical documents such as technical procedure manuals, user manuals, programming manuals, service manuals, operational specifications, and related technical publications to communicate clearly and effectively technical specifications and instructions to a wide range of audiences. Acquires subject knowledge by interviewing product developers, observing performance of production methods, referring to technical specifications, blueprints, engineering illustrations, and trade journals. Oversees preparation of illustrative materials, selecting drawings, sketches, diagrams and charts. Conducts quality review of materials.
- Translates complex data into user-friendly text for print and electronic publications, such as technical journals, user and training manuals, government proposals, websites and podcasts.
- Gathers information through research, statistical reports and interviews with technical staff.
- Develops cataloging systems, and maintains records, files, electronic media and archiving of information for publications.
- Assists in preparing material for technical seminars and business forums. May be called upon to assist in technical or business presentations in such meetings as business or customer needs require.
- Selects or recommends use of layouts, graphics, drawings, tables, exhibits, illustrations, charts, or storyboards to amplify or clarify publications objectives.
Bachelor's with 0 – 2 years (or commensurate experience)
Required Skills and Experience
Preferred Skills and Experience
GovCIO is a team of transformers–people who are passionate about transforming government IT. Every day, we make a positive impact by delivering innovative IT services and solutions that improve how government agencies operate and serve our citizens.
But we can't do it alone. We need great people to help us do great things – for our customers, our culture, and our ability to attract other great people. We are changing the face of government IT and building a workforce that fuels this mission. Are you ready to be a transformer?
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. EOE, including disability/vets.
Posted Pay Range
The posted pay range, if referenced, reflects the range expected for this position at the commencement of employment, however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, education, experience, and internal equity. The total compensation package for this position may also include other compensation elements, to be discussed during the hiring process. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the GovCIO reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, GovCIO or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Posted Salary Range: USD $46,770.00 – USD $74,830.00 /Yr.